Monday, March 16, 2015

Wonderful family, great exchange and Book of Mormon study


Life is so good here in Manchester! It's been such a wonderful week. Words can't really do it justice but I'll have to try since I only took one picture. Sorry!

First of all, let me just tell you about Maryam and Mehdi. This is the Iranian couple that I told you about last time. They are so wonderful! I love them so much. Some Iranian recent converts in the ward, Ramin and Faezeh have helped us SO much this week. I love them so much as well :) Faezeh and Maryam are really like my sisters. We definitely were friends in the pre-earth life! I just can't believe that Heavenly Father has been so merciful to me in the very last month of my mission. Maryam and Mehdi are getting baptised on 28 March. It's going to be such a special day. 

Our week has consisted of appointments with Maryam and Mehdi, service, and finding in between. It's just been so great! Oh, I also go to go on exchange with a really cute Philippina sister. Her name is Sister Oli. She was excited when I told her about Irene :) Sister Oli made the yummiest food for me ever. She also was just a really great example of diligence and patience to me. She got baptised 6 years ago and has helped her mom, 2 sisters, and brother get baptised. She is hoping that her dad will be baptised on her mission. She got her mission call a whole year ago but had to wait 10 months for her visa. While she was waiting she did a 3 month mini mission in the Philippines. I think that is amazing! Also, even though English is her second language, she is not afraid to talk to EVERYONE. She was bus contacting, stopping people in the streets, and doing all she could to make sure she shared her message with anyone who would listen. It was such a fun exchange.

Oops...I left my camera in the car. So I can't even send the one picture that I did take this week with Sister Oli. Sorry! I'll send it next week.

Something that has really blessed my life lately is my study of the Book of Mormon. I felt prompted a few months ago to start reading a few chapters every night before I go to bed in addition to my personal study in the mornings. I got the idea when I was pondering how I could make sure that I still studied the gospel everyday after my mission. I think that 9.5/10 missionaries would be able to rant for 10 minutes strait about how much they loved their personal study each morning. I'm the same! But a few months ago I realised that it's one thing to study every morning from 8-9am because during that hour there is nothing else to do, and a whole other thing to study the gospel because you love it and need spiritual food everyday. So I thought one way I could prove to myself that I'm not only studying the gospel because it would be disobedient NOT to would be to read the Book of Mormon a time when I didn't HAVE to. 

A picture with the Book of Mormon from earlier in Jenni's mission

So every night sing a hymn, say a prayer, get in bed, and read the Book of Mormon for a few minutes. This simple addition  to my nightly routine has done wonders for me. I thought I loved the Book of Mormon before, but I honestly feel like my love for it has doubled over the past few months. I know it is absolutely true and it teaches me how I can be happy in this life. Why wouldn't I read it? I'm so grateful for the power, peace, and truth it adds to my life. Last night in bed I read 3 Nephi 9:14-15 "Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me. Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God." I love the Saviour.

Well, that's about it for this week! I haven't had time to respond to everybody this week because we are going to Lyme Park today with a bunch of sisters! It's gonna be so much fun. Pictures next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment