Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Blue sky, door knockers and understanding the Atonement

Hello everyone!

I write this email in a very cheerful mood. The sun is out and the sky is as blue as it has ever been since arriving in England! I'm not wearing tights for the first time! Yippie! But I'm also cheerful because I have had a week full of tender mercies from the Lord and greater understanding of the Atonement.

Funnily enough, the weeks where I see the most tender mercies are also the most trying ones! Heavenly Father really knows how to make us grow. Serving with Sister Shih is a complete joy. I feel like we get along great! (Hopefully she is saying the same thing in her family email right now hehe). I've made it through the first week of training and I think that will be the hardest (fingers crossed) because now we are in a routine and we have met a lot of people together. I'm really seeing how the Lord makes up for our weaknesses. Because where I'm lacking (in Chinese and many other areas) Sister Shih is wonderful. Where she is lacking (in being comfortable talking to people on the streets for example) I can try to help her. Heavenly Father is so smart! 

As I said before, I'm learning a lot about the Atonement right now. In Preach My Gospel ch.1 it says that: "As your understanding of the Atonement of Jesus Christ grows, your desire to share the gospel will increase."
I've used that promise as a basis for my studying this week. I read a talk called "Broken Things To Mend" by Jeffrey R. Holland and I learned something wonderful! When Christ says to all mankind, "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28) he isn't joking! It's not some prank, it isn't a trick. He REALLY means it. He is saying "Get closer to me. I will help you. I will lead you." It isn't a conditional promise. If we "Come unto Christ" He will help us for His yoke truly is easy and his burden truly is light. I've felt that this week as I've reached out to experience the Atonement. I need it everyday on this mission! Looking back I realize that I needed it everyday BEFORE my mission as well but I just wasn't using it. I'm really grateful that Heavenly Father is teaching me about the Atonement so I can use it every single day for the rest of my life.


I'll use the pictures I took this week to describe what we did.

I had an exchange with my Sister Training Leader, Sister King. It was a wonderful exchange! She taught me so so so much. She has trained 3 times so she really had some great advice. She was really loving and we saw miracles together. It was a great 24 hours!


Grace came finding with us on Thursday. We ended up meeting a Chinese girl in town who Grace sort of knew. Her name is Gloria and she has become a new investigator! We taught her for the first time on Saturday. I'm really excited about her :) Miracles of finding with members!


We also went tracting with a girl in the ward named Bella Evans. She just put in her mission papers and is really great to work with! We had fun looking at all the funny door knockers we saw. This one was my favorite. I'm not sure how wise it was to take a picture on someone's door step, but now I have documented the whale door knocker. So it was worth it.

Grace also cooked us a really really yummy tea on Saturday night. Oh my goodness she is an amazing cook.


 Well that is the news of the week! I love you all! Thank you for your prayers and support. Oh! And Happy Easter! I hope that this week is filled with thoughts of the Saviour and that you are able to follow His footsteps a little more closely as a result. 

Have a great Holy Week!
Love,
Sister Bement

No comments:

Post a Comment