Monday, February 24, 2014

Her Majesty's (creepy) Prison and a prepared investigator

Hello again my wonderful family!

This week has been a long one for me. I had to learn a lot and humble myself. I guess it's all about being refined, right? We are having a mission temple conference tomorrow so I get to go to the Preston Temple for the first time! I'm so excited. I need the temple. :) I'll have to tell you about it next week.

Last week for P-day we went on a tour of Her Majesty's Prison: Lancaster Castle. I've sent you pictures of the outside before. We walk by it all the time. It was beautiful, scary, and fun. Brother Holden took all the missionaries in the ward and payed for us! So nice of him! 





I say it was creepy because the prison is really really old. They had torture devices and really terrible cells.  The Pendell Witches were held there! Have any of you heard of them? They did this thing where they offered to shut us in one of the old prison cells to see how dark it would be. I didn't want to do it (I'm definitely a 20 year old who is still afraid of the dark) but Sister Lau did. So I had to! Not that the sight and sound rule applied inside that cell because it really was pitch black! So I couldn't see my companion anyways! haha The prison was used until 3 years ago. So there were modern parts too that still kind of creeped me out. I better not do anything bad because I would not function well in a prison. Right now it's used as a court for civil cases. They showed us the court rooms. Brother Holden has actually done jury duty in the castle. I thought that was pretty neat!

This week Sister Lau and I saw a lot of miracles. I also saw miracles in my own personal growth. Like I said, this week has been difficult for me. I got homesick again! Poo! So Wednesday and Thursday I felt pretty terrible. But I'm learning over and over again that if I will just forget myself and go to work that the homesickness goes away. I'm learning that I do this to myself. If I let myself dwell on home, on comfort, on ordinary life then I will inevitably be homesick. But when I focus on the work and giving my whole heart, might, mind, and strength to the Lord, I feel happy and like I can make it as a missionary for 1.5 years. 

One of the happiest things this week is just seeing our investigator Dos grow. She is the most prepared person I have even met for the gospel. She pretty much accepted it instantly and is going to be baptized on the 15th of March. Yesterday after the Sacrament she said, "I feel like I need the Sacrament to feel like my life is really clean." She just "gets" the gospel. She understands that it is going to change her life for the better. Last night she said, "I can't wait to be baptized!" I'm so so happy for her. I only have one picture of her with Selene. It's not the best picture but I'll send it so you can put a face to the name. :) She is on the left and is making a funny face. But there she is.



Sister Lau and I got REALLY soaked this week. It just rained and rained! I'm getting pretty used to being wet. I can honestly say I don't mind it. It seems like being wet and cold is just part of being in the England Manchester Mission. I'm trying to embrace it. :)



I love you all so much! I love reading your emails and letters. They give me such joy and strength. I know that the gospel is true. I know that it's the ONLY way to have lasting happiness in this life and in the life to come. It truly is joyful to share that message with others even though I still miss my home and family. I'm learning that with the Lord's help, everything works out. I love my Savior and I'm grateful for this opportunity to serve Him and be His hands.

Love,
Sister Bement  畢姐妹

No comments:

Post a Comment