Monday, February 17, 2014

Happy Baptism, Phone Call and Duck Pond

Dear family,

What a week! What a week! The highlight, of course, was Selene and Vic's baptism. It was a beautiful experience for me but more importantly for them. They both felt imminently pure and clean after they were baptized. What a beautiful reward from Heavenly Father! But I'm realizing that is how he works. He gives us a simple commandment that might require some sacrifice, but if we are obedient and faithful he blesses us so immensely that we forget about the sacrifice it required. Then our hearts change and we want to continue to be obedient and faithful. I love the way Heavenly Father works.

Here are some pictures from the baptism.






After the baptism, we went to the Smith's home for tea and a spiritual thought. They were so wonderful to have us over. Vic couldn't actually come (big bummer!) but Selene, Damon, and Ken were able to. I'm so happy that these recent Chines converts are becoming a part of the ward. That is going to be absolutely KEY into keeping them active. 




So the Lancaster baptismal font is pretty darn old and quite frankly, a little bit gross. So on Friday Sister Lau and I went to the chapel to try and clean it a bit. It was a freezing cold adventure but pretty fun. Also, it's probably the closest I'll get to swimming my whole mission ;) We made it a cleaning party. 



To prepare people for baptism after they have committed to a date, in our mission we have to make a baptismal calendar. This was the first one that I made mostly by myself (Sister Lau can't help but decorate. She is so crafty! Plus she has to write the Chinese) So we decided to document it.




Last week for P-day we went with some Elders in our district to the Ashton Memorial. You can see it all over Lancaster because it is on the top of a big hill. But we had never been up close. It was fun and so beautiful! It's located in a place called Williamson's Park. It reminded me of the park in the middle of San Francisco which I can't remember the name of. But anyways, here are some pictures. 




This is Elder Hill, our district leader. He has a thing with ducks. And has a stuffed animal duck. With a name tag. So we thought it was pretty funny in front of a duck pond. Sorry it's so cheesy, but as missionaries, we have very few forms of entertainment so we have to take what we get! 





That's basically my week in pictures! But here is the miracle :)
On Saturday before the baptism we got a phone call from an unknown number. I answered it and it was a boy who said something like, "Hi. I've recently gone through a hard time and I think I should learn more about Jesus Christ. I got your number in town when you gave me a pamphlet a month or so ago. Do you think we could meet up some time?" HA! I was said, "Yes, I DEFINITELY think we could meet up." We are seeing him tonight at Uni! Can't wait to meet him and start teaching him the restored gospel! Usually when we give out our number, people always say "yeah, I'll definitely call you!" But never do. So this was truly miraculous.

OH!!! I forgot to talk about transfers! SISTER LAU AND I GET TO STAY IN LANCASTER TOGETHER ANOTHER TRANSFER!!!!! We are so happy!!!! I couldn't believe it! This was my dream but I didn't think it would ever happen. Yay!!! 

Well, I'll leave you on that happy note. Being a missionary is NOT easy. Not at ALL. But doing something hard never hurt anyone. So I'm trying to just accept that my life is gonna be hard for the next while. And probably get harder throughout my mission...but I know through the Atonement all things are possible. I also know more than anything that this isn't MY mission. It's the Lord's. It's His work and He will take care of everything. I just have to be obedient and do my part. I've also been so blessed to be put where so many people are prepared for the gospel. It is both joyful and rewarding.

I love, miss, and pray for all of you.

All my love,
Sister Bement

No comments:

Post a Comment