Thursday, February 13, 2014

Fake phone number, Miracle Friendship and Baptisms!

Goodness gracious this week has gone fast! I can't believe I'm back in the library emailing y'all. I have a lot of things written in my planner to tell you :) Which reminds me, I've discovered that for missionaries, their planner is their brain. It really is such an important part of the work. It's always in my hand, all the time. I like that every hour of the day there is something scheduled. I love my planner.

The first thing to say is that SELENE AND VIC ARE GETTING BAPTIZED THIS SATURDAY. It has been an absolute joy teaching them and learning from them. Especially Selene. I met her very soon after coming to Lancaster and we clicked very fast. My first Sunday in the Lancaster ward was also her first time coming to church. So we walked together and talked about how we were both a bit nervous. She also has been really instrumental in helping me with Chinese. She is so excited that I want to learn and so patient in helping me. I love that she will talk in Chinese to me even though she knows I might not understand. Her doing this has really improved me listening and understanding. I love her and can't wait for her special day on Saturday. Last night she came to Brother and Sister Perry's house for tea with us. She goes there every Monday night for the YSA FHE as well. It's so wonderful to watch her become so involved with the ward. 

Sister Lau and Selene :)

Since I told you a lot about Selene I'll tell you a little bit about Vic because he is my miracle of the week. I love Vic so much. But for some reason I hadn't really fully developed a friendship with him. He definitely has a wonderful relationship with Sister Lau though which is absolutely wonderful. But I'd been praying this week for a way that I could develop a more personal relationship with him and let him know how much I admire his decision to be baptized and make changes in his life. I think the main problem with our relationship is that I can't understand his Chinese. I'm getting OK at participating in Chinese lessons. I can understand mostly what Sister Lau is saying (although it's still hard for me to jump in and speak when it's my turn) if she is talking about Gospel related things. But once we jump into the get to know you phase, I'm totally lost. I just don't know those words. So I'm mostly silent and just bob my head and smile but don't really participate. So I've been asking Heavenly Father how I can have a good relationship with Vic even though I can't really communicate with him too well. And it happened yesterday! In Gospel Principles I sat next to Vic. We were both on the end and he didn't have scriptures and I didn't have a gospel principles manual so we were sharing (although his manual was in Chinese so it didn't help me much haha). But it ended up that throughout the whole lesson, if he didn't know a word in English he would ask me. I would pronounce it for him and try to define it in Chinese. He also had an app on his phone that we used to figure out some words. So I would teach him the English word, and then he would teach it to me in Chinese. By the end of the lesson it was really comfortable and we both were so happy to have learned some new words. I know that sounds little, but it was a big miracle to me because in just 50 minutes, I feel like a big wall broke down between us. I know that was an answer to my prayer. So that's my miracle for the week :)

I also wanted to tell you about Damon and Ken's callings! Damon got baptized in November and Ken in December. Ken is now the president of the YSA association at Lancaster University. Up until now, the University hasn't recognized the LDS church as a religion practiced on their campus. But now the bishopbric has called Ken to start a group so that they can have FHE and institute on the campus. In order to have recognition from the Universtiy they need 16 members. And with the baptisms coming up they will have it! This is so exciting and a big deal because the nearest institute is 40 minutes away in a car. And with a busy uni students, none of them have cars and none of them have that time every week. So pray for Ken to be able to make this happen!

Damon got called yesterday as the 1st counselor in the Young Men's presidency. Right now in the Lancaster ward, there are 3 young men. They just barely got a young men's president a couple weeks ago. So the young men's program is really in it's infant stages. I know that the Lord has prepared Damon to contribute to this ward! It's so exciting to see the Lord's plans unfold.

Oh, also, remember Melwyn? I met him on the bus a few weeks ago. He came to church for the first time yesterday! He stayed all three hours! I believe he had a good experience. We will meet with him again this Saturday. Exciting!

This week has been wonderful. This next week coming up could potentially be my last week in Lancaster. I find out this Friday or Saturday if I'm being transferred. My training will be officially over! I can't believe how fast it's gone. I love Sister Lau so much and I hope hope HOPE we can serve together another transfer here in Lancaster but we will see what the Lord wants. Wherever He needs me, I will go. :)

I love you all so much and hope you are doing well. As always I appreciate SO MUCH your support and prayers. It means everything to me. Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Sister Jennifer Bement

Pictures:

We had tea with Selene last Tuesday. She made us a ton of food but let us help a little :) I was the assigned potato chopper. It took me a long time so I wanted to document it haha




 This is a picture from Thursday night. We asked Emily to come teach a new investigator we had found in city center last week with us. He was a miracle because he gave us his phone number and address and wanted us to come visit him and teach him! But it turns out, the phone number and address were fake so we ended up walking around in the rain for an hour and half. While we were waiting for the bus to come we documented our sad evening. But attitude is everything! So we were still happy throughout it all. Disappointed, yes. Discouraged, no. :)



This is after a district meeting. See the blue sky! A rare sunny day in England :)




No comments:

Post a Comment