Monday, January 13, 2014

Another Week on the Mission

I am happy to report that this week I have been SO MUCH happier than before. Miraculously, my homesickness is pretty much gone. What a blessing!!! I'm getting more confident in missionary work and starting to get a glimpse of how these next 15 months are going to be some of the happiest and most fulfilling in my life. Every single day is an adventure with it's own trials and frustrations. But it's amazing to know that Heavenly Father has a plan for each day. And each day there are people He puts into our path that are ready to receive the restored gospel. 

Ever since starting my mission I've felt myself slowly changing. I feel like I'm slowly but steadily being shaped into the kind of person Heavenly Father needs me to be for the challenges that are to come during the mission and post mission. I'm learning so much about how to be patient, put myself last, and serve with EVERYTHING holding nothing back. I'm not great at any of those things yet. But I know I'm better than I was before. And I think that is all Heavenly Father asks of us everyday. We just need to be a little bit better than we were before. 

I'm also learning that the more I understand the Atonement the happier I am. And that is wonderful because I love learning about the Atonement! This week I invited all of you to try to understand the Atonement better. I promise that as you do, your life will seem more fulfilling and your contentment will increase.

Miracle of the week: 
On Saturday we spent the afternoon at Uni. We had a great few hours up there. We were able to teach 4 lessons, all of them with a member (Ken, who was baptized a few weeks ago). We actually had planned to teach Ken as well but we ran out of time and we were starving because we hadn't had a good lunch that day and it was getting late. We decided we would go eat with Ken in town and teach him there. We had a yummy Chinese meal (I forgot to take pictures, sorry) and afterwords taught Ken about the Sacrament and Atonement (because he was passing the Sacrament for the first time the next day!!! yay!). Even in a restaurant I really felt the Spirit so strong! But that isn't the miracle. It's coming!

Sister Lau and I have been to that restaurant a few times and have become good pals with the owner and some of the staff. They always ask me about how my Chinese is coming and they know we are missionaries for our church. It's actually a Malaysian/Chinese food restaurant so the people who work there all speak like 5 different languages! Cantonese, Malay, Mandarin, and a few others that vary. One girl in particular named Priya really got along well with us. When we were about to leave on Saturday night the conversation turned to missionary work and what are church is etc. etc. I asked her if she wanted to come to church with us the next day and she politely said no that's okay she has her religion (Hindu) but she just likes talking about Christianity and has gone to a Catholic Mass before. So I thought, "Oh okay, that's nice" and dropped it. But we continued talking for like 5 more minutes about our church but since I had already invited her to come to church and she said no I was just gonna leave it. But then Ken asked her again like a champ! And she said yes and that she would bring her friend too! I was excited, but I'll just tell you striaght out that plenty of people tell us they are coming to church and then don't show up. But she did! And she really did bring her friend! They could only stay for Sacrament meeting but they both partook of the Sacrament and felt of God's love in that chapel. 

This experience really taught me the power of members in missionary work. Notice how when I, the missionary, invited Priya to come to church she said no. But when Ken, just a normal uni student, invited her she said yes. So if any of you are going out teaching with missionaries right now, don't be afraid to extend commitments! It really makes a difference. It's actually our transfer focus right now to have members extend the invitation to come to church. And wonderful Ken didn't even have to be told!

Anyways, like I said before I'm really getting over the homesickness. I LOVE Sister Lau and I love Lancaster. The other day we were walking home and I was just looking around at the street we were on and I thought to myself, "I really love this street." And I'm realizing that I slowly but surely am coming to love this area. I'm so glad I get to stay here for at least 6 more weeks. There is so much work to do and Sister Lau and I are ready to do it!!

I love you all! Sorry I don't have good pictures this week. Here is a couple of Sister Lau making me yummy English food the other day. I don't think I've ever sent a picture of the kitchen in our flat and also, you need to see what beans and toast is! It's yummy is what it is. Mmmm mmmm. 





No comments:

Post a Comment